EVENTS for Maryland Archaeology Month April 2021
Maryland Archeology Month - April 2021
The Archeology of Healing and Medicine
In this time of viral contagion, Maryland Archeology Month focuses on the material remains of our collective past that speak to our response to illness and disease. From botanical remains to medical devices to the containers that held the various nostrums and drugs, archeology can contribute to our understanding of humanity’s efforts to defeat sickness and promote health. Join us in exploring this dimension of the human experience and how we have responded over the centuries. This year's booklet is available to download, Maryland Archeology Month 2021 Booklet. You can also read the articles published online under our 2021 Articles page! This year's poster is available here.
This year we have the added benefit of being able to plan with the pandemic as the controlling factor. Since in-person events are not possible at this point, we have planned some exciting virtual events! An example will be video interviews with the authors of the eight essays presented in this year's booklet. These short and casual videos will be posted on the Maryland Historical Trust’s YouTube channel, with links provided on this website, as well as the website of the Archeological Society of Maryland (marylandarcheology.org). There will also be a live-streamed webinar with three of the authors on Thursday April 22 at 2pm where they will speak on their essay topic for 10 minutes, followed by discussion and audience Q&A. Several virtual in-depth lectures are also planned. And you can expect written blogs and other online content. You’re going to be busy this April! You’ll want to watch this website closely!
- Apr 15, 12:00 PMFree Zoom LectureIt’s Archaeology Month! Learn about local excavations by Richard Montgomery High School students.
- Apr 15, 1:00 PMFree WebinarHosted by Preservation Maryland, Moderated by Craig Lukezic and Jessica Feldt. Join this panel for a civil conversation about positive ways to discover the past!
- Apr 15, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PMHistoric St Mary's City Youtube ChannelJoin us on our Youtube Channel to hear Dr. Travis Parno talk about the history and discovery of the 1634 St. Mary's Fort.
- Apr 29, 7:00 PM – 8:45 PMFree Zoom LectureHosted by St. Mary's College of Maryland, this mini-symposium examines connections between the Piscataway Indian past and present through a focus on three subjects: the c. 1681 Zekiah Fort, the 19th-century Indian settlement around Popes Creek, and the 20th-century American Indian Movement.
- Sep 03, 9:00 AM – Sep 25, 3:00 PMCalvert County, Jefferson Patterson Park 10515 Mackall Road, Maryland 20685, USAEvery year, volunteers are given the opportunity to see what it is like to be an archaeologist and excavate an actual site, through our Public Archaeology Program